Monday, March 25, 2013

Table Paintin'

So, breakups are hard. (And then anyone who will ever read this mumbles "Duh, Amanda.") I'll be completely fine for days or even weeks and then crippling feelings of despairing despair appear from nowhere with the sole mission of strangling the feelings of happiness I've cultivated to cope with said breakup.

This happened a few nights ago while I was calmly minding my own business, eating veggie chips out of the bag and watching like 7 episodes of "30 Rock" on Netflix because I was too lazy to browse for something else. Hey, I'd been at work all day and my Instant Queue was aaaaaaaalllllll the way over there.

Then I got all depressed for no reason and started freaking out about being forever alone. I usually text some friends when this feeling strikes, but I'm trying to wean myself off that because I know if the same friend kept doing that to me eventually I would run out of patience. So I decided to paint the top of my dining room table instead of badgering friends with my emotions for the millionth time. To be fair, it's a really old table that some of my parent's friends donated to me when I moved off on my ill-fated voyage to Savannah, GA. The top was pretty scratched up and had some wear and tear on it, so painting it really improved things. I used a light grey interior wall paint that I had laying around and then painted the pattern with a darker grey that I mixed up.

Here's an action shot of the finished table top:

Table tops don't do a lot of action packed things. Here's a closeup of the pattern:

And here's a shot of it with candles and these glasses that I tinted and then painted to look like mercury glass and put candles in (I'll do a post about those eventually). Candles are one of the things that I keep in my apartment to fool visitors into thinking that I'm adulty and have my life together.

The paint should hold up pretty well but I'm going to put a clear varnish on it just for extra protection since I won't be able to mix up the exact shade of dark grey again.

So, kids. If you're dealing with a breakup, you should paint your table instead of inflicting your feelings on your friends. You'll feel better afterwards and have a cool project to show for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment